Saturday, June 24, 2006

[ E for Elope ]
Owe it to post bridal issue syndrome/having been a wedding planner/been to several weddings of clients/friends/randoms/combination of the above - I was flipping through ELLE Canada on the train home tonight and a few things seem questionable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not cynical and jaded, it's more like I've seen people get caught up too much and lose the essence of them as the couple, which is what should be the highlight of the wedding day, not the lights, flowers or seat covers.

1) Dummy cakes. Its beyond me. Refer to the word used before 'cake'.
2) Flowers. People spend a small fortune on them - bouquets, aisle trimmings, table centerpieces - and it merely lasts a couple of hours before the hotel or venue staff chuck it in a big black trash bag. I guess part of why I feel this way is also because I've never really been a flowers kinda girl - it's pretty and a nice gesture, but they're dead after a while. Somehow I don't like impermanence. Give me something more lasting, like a spanking bright diamond :)
3) The dress. I know this is one of the most crucial things to the bride but seriously, why get your knickers in a twist six months prior to the day rushing for fittings and getting miffed about that (insert number here) kilos you have to lose to fit that 'perfect' gown? That said, you should wear the gown, not the other way round. OTT gowns with all manner of chantilly lace (note - overdose of lace=paper doily), beads, layers, ruffles that don't suit you make you look lost in the dress. And isn't the whole point for you as the bride to be the main point?
4) Guest list. In agreeance with David Tutera, NYC's It party planner - the guest list is so important. I was at a wedding dinner a couple of nights ago and it was the standard ballroom affair with over 200 people present, an annoying Chinese emcee trying to be American (insert shudder here), the bride and groom being called onstage every 3 courses throughout dinner to snap photos with the family, then going on rounds table to table to snap more photos. I talked to the couple for no more than a minute in that whole three hours. Ridiculous. The whole intimacy was lost. My point is, the couple was so busy speed mingling with people, half of whom they didn't know because their parents insisted those people be invited. Whose wedding is it again? It'd be a sad day when you realise your wedding day was a blur of unfamiliar faces, flashbulbs and rushing around. Q: How'd the wedding go? A: Oh, it was sooo tiring. *sigh* Romantic, huh? o.O King Karl (Lagerfeld, of Chanel) was quoted saying he felt like 'hostage to a party' rather than a guest, at Elton John's wedding bash.

Well! All that out of the way, I can stop thinking about work now. Which by the way, is being a pain, colleagues wise. I'd like to term it tree trunk up the arse syndrome - you'd be surprised at how anal, rude and ungrateful people can be. Then again, it's the media - it shouldn't surprise you.

In other news, Bitch and I met up for coffee and dinner with Charles, Tanya's bestie. Very nice bloke. Then we left him for dinner at Thai Express and shared a small curry. Afterwards we got identical tees that say "Good friends don't let friends talk to ugly guys" - hilarious. Love you Bitch. x.

Right-o, have reached my word quota for now.

Bitch out. x.


4 Comments:

At 12:47 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fear hun. I'll never let our special day turn out like that.
I love you very much and I want it to be as easy and meaningful for you as possible.
*kisses all over*

Miss you!

 
At 12:50 am , Blogger LadyNik said...

:) Miss you too. x.

 
At 12:00 pm , Blogger  said...

*kiss*

*GROPE*

*lots of girlie things that pleugs wouldn't approve of*

i had a REALLY great evening with you. i love ya lots, bitch. identical t-shirts FTW!! (:

 
At 4:09 pm , Blogger LadyNik said...

*x* *slaps arse* *girlieness ensues*

Lol, can you imagine how lesbotic (that's lesbian+bimbotic) we'll be with red specs together?! Hahaha. Must find some soon.

Bitches FTW.

Love xXx

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home